Search This Blog

Saturday 30 April 2011

Rare examples of music I find hard to bear.

However much I love music there are occasions when I find it particularly hard to stomach.  Even if the song being played is one I love. 

I am thinking specifically of noisy neighbours who may play loud, intrusive music at socially unacceptable hours.  You may love the song with a passion, but if it is pumping out at 2.30am and you have work the next day it can rapidly lose its charm.  I actually find a level of conflict within myself at these times, as I can appreciate someone else loving music and wanting to play it loud and dance to it, but when it affects my life (and sleep) then I am less tolerant.  I am much more willing to put up with loud music from neighbours during the day, even if it is very intrusive and loud in my own house.  I have a personal policy of never playing loud music past 9 at night and often will slip on the headphones at a much earlier hour than this.  I’d hate to force my music on someone else and make them feel the frustrations and discomfort I have occasionally felt.

Another time I struggle with music is when it is played when I am on hold on the telephone.  To hear the same endless cycles of music slowly drives me insane and if the song has been adapted in any way to make it more ’phone friendly’ then my tolerance is pretty much zero.  To hear a much loved and cherished song mangled in such a brutal way offends my musical nature and I have to restrain myself from berating the operator, when they answer my call, for their companies heinous crimes against art and feeling.

Muzak in lifts is another bugbear although fortunately for me, based in the UK, I think it is more of an American phenomenon.  This doesn’t stop shops (notably supermarkets) playing music of a similar ilk whilst I peruse their aisles and it takes a great deal of self restraint and inner strength to not take my trolley and go careening down the aisles, knocking old ladies and tins of bean flying as I make my hasty exit.


Finally, music on adverts can be particularly upsetting.  When I hear a song I love and which moves me deeply being used to sell a car, a burger or some other product, then a small part of me dies inside.  To think I used to sit with my stomach aching with emotion or my legs jiggling with barely contained rhythmic spasm and then that same song is the backdrop to gaudy flashy images and ‘shouty’ slogans exhorting me to buy more of whatever product is being advertised, leaves a sour taste in my mouth so overpowering my mouth almost puckers at the thought.

I love music, I mean it truly is my life blood and one of the reasons I enjoy life so much and yet there are times, like the ones I’ve mentioned here, where it is intrusive or cheapened so much that I’d consider foregoing it just this once in the interests of art and integrity.  If only the neighbours or advertising execs felt the same way.

6 comments:

  1. This was very funny in an anguished sort of way. We don't live close enough to our neighbors to hear their music, but they go out on their deck and smoke, which bothers/tantalizes me as I don't smoke and haven't for years. I don't drink either and the idea of having of drink and cigarette on OUR deck and watching the sun set as I listen to some of my fav. music (quietly) is really tempting. Dire Straits, Eagles, Boyz to Men...you name it. Oh yes, Del Amitri and Elvis Costello. Everyone comes to my deck!

    I cannot bear the ads on the telly "using our music"--great idea discussing that-- and I KNOW perfectly well they are going for my age group, now that we are older and no longer hippies, but have fond memories of our youth. It really kills me to view a match up of something like a Mercedes with Led Zeppelin or some other car like that, as that sort of materialism was not part of our lifestyle when we were young. And it still isn't for my husband and for me.
    Will Janis Joplin be backing up Hallmark cards shortly, with "take another little piece of my heart"?
    ... The Humanities!!! as we say here at home!

    great post, very comprehensive, wonderful writing as always!

    jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jean, thanks for your comment. My heart broke when I heard Jimi Hendrix being used on a car advert a few years back. It felt almost sacrilegeous! I don't think some companies realise that they alienate potential customers when they do things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jimi Hendrix is one of our favourites. Argh, argh argh. We never saw that one, or I am in complete denial thank heavens

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jimi is one of those musicians who shaped my formative years. I have memories of jumping up and down on the spare bed with my cousin, dancing to Voodoo child (slight return) at a very young age.

    It's use in a car advert was like musial blasphemy!!! You're lucky you missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SM

    I can understand your complaint about the older artists being used in adverts. They are not making much money on those. It is the new artists that I have a little forgiveness for. When they "sell out" it means that they are probably making some money off the deal.

    I would suggest that you look up what Musak actually is before assuming that is what is played in elevators. This is not always the case since Musak is designed to control behaviors. Even as far as to be used in brainwashing techniques. The company is still pumping music out to the masses all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Purely Him, thanks for leaving a comment. I guess with the older artists as well, if they have passed away, then it is their executors making decisions and they have less control over their legacy.

    I did look up muzak before writing this article to clarify the term and it states that it is gentle instrumental, music designed for playing in shopping centres, telephone exchanges, supermarkets, airports and lifts (amongst other locations).

    I am fascinated by you mentioning it being used to control behaviours. I knew it was designed to slow people in shops so they would browse longer, and keep telephone customers on hold calmer, but I didn't know about the brainwashing techniques.

    Interesting stuff and I thank you again for taking the time to comment, I hope to see you back here soon,

    Warm regards

    ReplyDelete