Search This Blog

Saturday 7 May 2011

Musical Influences: Steve Poltz

When writing a recent article ('Finding That Musical Sparkle') that mentioned Steve Poltz I began to wonder if he’d be willing to answer a few questions about his musical influences.  I hesitated at first, then fired off a brief email and within a few hours he had sent back a wonderful reply agreeing to my request.  Even better, when I awoke the next day, the answers to all my questions were waiting for me in my inbox.

Steve was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia and has lived most of his life in California.  Initially cutting his teeth playing in The Rugburns, Steve played punk-folk to a growing audience and the band quickly became known for their extensive touring and loyal fans.

Steve is a prolific songwriter with many tracks used in films, TV shows and the odd advert and he has co-written one of the longest running songs in the Billboard Top 100, “You Were Meant for Me” with Jewel.

An accomplished performer, Steve’s shows are always a mix of humour and spellbinding playing and like my previous article mentioned, to see him even once will be a night to remember.

Steve Poltz, Courtesy poltz.com
His back catalogue offers up a blend of ballads, rock and acoustic tracks and his albums reflect his eclectic style and wide influences.  These albums are “One Left Shoe”, “Chinese Vacation”, “Traveling” and “Unravelling”.  He has also written a children’s album (“The Barn”) and an album of 45 second long tracks called “Answering Machine” which has garnered praise from Neil Young, which I’m sure you’d agree is high praise indeed.

Steve’s latest project is a collaboration with Canadian musician Joel Plaskett and the album ‘Dreamhouse” is the result.

Always unique and with a surprise or entertaining story always around the next corner Steve has a varied and loyal fan base that he manages to maintain with his individual and captivating songs.  If you’ve yet to hear his music then hunt some albums out and if you’ve already been initiated into his quirky world, you’ll already be enjoying every minute.



Did you grow up around much music at home?

Yes. All the time. My Ma always sang me to sleep. And my Pa sang me awake. He'd yodel in the morning while making brekky. My Ma would sing very sentimental songs at night. Me and my Ma would play guitar together and also my sister Kath. She could really harmonize and would teach me about listening to harmonies. My uncle Louie taught her piano and taught me about singing from my diaphragm.

What’s the first album you bought?

It was a 45 by The Essex called 'Easier Said Than Done'. Still love it.



What’s the first concert you went to? 

Julian Bream classical guitar at the Hollywood Bowl. Uncle Louie took me.

What music especially moves you?

Songs of memories that are wisful like 'On Saturday Afternoons In 1963' by Rickie Lee Jones. It has an oboe solo in it! Makes me tear up. Lots of emotion.

What album guarantees to get you dancing or you always put on at a party?

Bee Gees- Stayin Alive -off Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.

What’s your ideal dinner party music/background music?

Pianist Glenn Glould - The Goldberg Variations- Bach.  He recorded this piece twice and they're both amazing. Once in 1959 and again in the early eighties. It's neat to hear the opening track because years later he plays it much slower.  It's almost as if you can hear all the world weariness in his years of living. He had Asperger's syndrome and was really interesting. You can hear him humming as he hovers above the piano keys.  He always wore sweaters and scarves even in the middle of summer.  

What album do you always suggest to your friends?

Jesus Christ Superstar

What’s your favourite recorded music format? Vinyl, CD or download?

I love vinyl if I'm somewhere that has it, I gravitate toward it. It's fun to put on a record and sit with friends.

What’s your favourite music venue to play and which is your favourite as a music fan?

I love playing at The Carelton in Halifax Nova Scotia. I love watching shows at The Blue Door in Oklahoma City.

What song would you want played at your funeral?

Independence Day by Elliott Smith.

What album helped you get through your teenage years?

Joni Mitchell 'Blue'

What album can you always listen to regardless of time or mood?

Miles Davis- Sketches Of Spain

What album do you most wish you’d written?

Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour

What album is your guilty pleasure?

I don't ever feel guilty about music. Just everything else.

What album can you not live without?

Tom Waits Raindogs

What are you listening to now?

The Replacements - Let It Be

I would just like to thank Steve for the time he has taken to answer my questions and for his willingness to share his musical influences.  Keep an eye out for some more artist interviews in the coming weeks.

6 comments:

  1. I loved reading this blog and hearing about Steve's musical tastes and influences. It reminds me of when I saw him years back at The Royal Albert Hall in London. A brilliant artist, I have his first album but need to get the others. It's intesting to hear what he's been working on lately as I love his style. I'm looking forward to the next interviews............

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew, thanks for commenting and i'm so glad you liked the interview.

    I agree with you that Steve is brilliant live and his other albums are well worth checking out. His website is great too, with regular posts and his unique sense of humour shining through.

    I'll look forward to seeing you back here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I remember playing The Albert Hall gig. What a venue. One of the highlights of my life. I miss The UK. Oh -- the Rickie Lee Jones song is called On Saturday Afternoons In 1963. Not "In".

    And Glenn Gould had Asberger's Syndrome.
    Thanks Anthony
    S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment Steve. The Royal Albert Hall is a wonderful venue, so grand and with a great atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a cool unassuming guy. I read this with great pleasure and was really interested in his replies to your excellent questions. I think he has a new fan!
    Thank you for posting this!!!

    jean! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you liked it Jean. Steve has been such a great guy with my emails and chit-chat in general, I'm very grateful to him. Check out his website which is great and you can't go wrong with any of his albums. 'One Left Shoe' is an excellent introduction though.

    ReplyDelete