Search This Blog

Saturday 16 April 2011

TV themes that keep you coming back for more.

TV theme tunes are designed to stick in the mind and prepare you for the upcoming program, yet there are a certain few that when they start, kick off a little thrill of excitement and begin to mean more to you than just a simple TV theme song.  This could be because the songs/tunes themselves are so good or it could be because you are anticipating an action packed, exciting TV program.

One theme that immediately springs to mind is for the Formula 1 coverage on the BBC.  When that famous bassline from Fleetwood Mac’s ‘The Chain’ kicks in you almost get a surge of adrenaline.  The band wrote this song with no thought of a motor sport in mind and yet it seems to complement it perfectly, to the extent that I missed it when the coverage was done by another network and I was pleased when it returned years later.

Another one I adore is the theme for ‘Six Feet Under’.  This is a great piece of music in it’s own right and when those first chiming notes are played a grin plasters itself across my face and I sit back knowing some high class TV is on the way.  It was written specifically for the show and the music matches the opening sequence images perfectly, even to the extent of slowing down and speeding up at the right moments.  This is theme music as art.



The music for Dexter also stands out for me.  It feels kind of discordant initially, but the bells occasionally ringing in the background sound like an alarm clock and considering this is played over a morning/breakfast sequence this is pretty apt.  Due to the thrilling nature of the show you can’t help but get a little tingle of expectation when the opening music starts and as this is a unique piece of music you will always get that whenever you hear it played.  I am less likely to play this as a piece of music on it’s own, but matched with the opening sequence it hit’s the nail on the head.

I love the opening music for Scrubs as well.  It is short, jaunty, irreverent and full of fun, much the like the show itself.  It is also extremely catchy and will have you repeating ‘I’m no superman’ to yourself over and over even when the show has finished.  The track by Lazlo Bane was the perfect choice and again stands up as a song in it’s right.  I’m more than happy to play this at odd moments and, perhaps due to the connection with the comedy in the show, it always puts a smile on my face.

Like I’ve said, TV theme music is meant to be catchy or evocative, but some shows seem to have taken it to another level and the artistry involved elevates it above mere filler or incidental music.  I guess it is an art form in itself to be able to convey so much about a show in a short space of time and the sign of a good TV theme song is that it often leaves you wanting more.

15 comments:

  1. Theme tunes are often overlooked but they can certainly build that anticipation in you for what is to come, let alone be good pieces of music in their own right. You've chosen three very different, but equally well suited pieces of music to the TV shows which they are a part of. Nice one. I'm liking the links to the music on YouTube too, I listened to them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew, Thanks again for commenting. You're right, themes can be extremely varied, but still embody the show they represent perfectly. I'm glad you like the links too. Keep your thoughts coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the TV theme music for Scrubs and almost bought the music but couldn't figure out where to get it, embarrassingly. I think that TV theme music should be explored even further by you if you are ever in the mood. You really nailed some great tunes.

    By the way, one thing I wanted to do once (you may not want to hear about this but I will tell you anyway) is analyze why certain corporations use the particular "hold" music that they do, when you are calling them on the phone and have to wait. The music makes absolutely NO sense sometimes,or is completely weird, and I find it fascinating that medical groups, or large companies, will pick the most terribly inappropriate music when they put you on hold for what seems like ages! I was going to do an article about it once. :)

    Hope you are well!
    Have a great Holiday.
    jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jean, great to see you back. I was thinking of other TV themes I could write about and may well revisit this topic down the line.

    You may be interested to hear I've already written a post about 'on hold' music and other music of that type. It is all ready to go and scheduled to be published on the 30th. I hope you'll like it once it goes up.

    Warm regards for now,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait for both posts! You are terrific!

    jean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless you for saying so! That's so kind, I'm glad you're enjoying the posts I've put up so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to show you this video (with a fun ending) of my son playing with a band which his band was touring with last year-- they were touring as well with Luna Halo, both of whom were opening for The Ruse). My son normally plays lead and rythmn--help--I can't spell today!-- for the Ruse (the American Ruse)(www.rusemusic.com) and writes all their music...but he sat in, in this video, with one of their fellow bands, Honor by August. Someone made a home video of it. Acoustics not the greatest of course but you will see how amazing my kid Jim is, I hope!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhtgpZ_QJnI

    best wishes and have a good Sunday,

    jean

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing and a great clip. Maybe the lead singer should be called Spider Monkey with stage antics like that!!!

    Can you recommend any other clips of your sons band to check out?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course, thank you. They showcase the lead singer, John Dauer more, but my kid is the lynchpin for the band. They have been playing together since they were ten. Hang on, I will get you two

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeXfjTdtXxY

    and, a year later they made this one

    http://rusemusic.com/news/
    scroll down you will see it on their site

    they have a new CD coming out shortly
    My son is very funny and a wonderful kid. I am really proud of him (I have 5 sons),we all adore all of them of course!

    jean-- nice knowing you. wish I knew more about you. I can't help it--I am a research oriented person and a columnist. You seem so intelligent and honest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. one of thise clips didn't work for me try this instead--http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLLHsADpPzI&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was great!!!! Collide is such a good track. I love music like that, the intro reminded me of U2, but they also remind me of a band called Augustana and The Fray as well. I think i'm going to have to track down a CD!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, I will tell my son. I have told him about you. He spent his early life listening to U2 but now that he has seen Roger Waters onstage in The Wall this year (Big Jim did too, courtesy of tickets through my son's agent) he is becoming quite a Floydian, like his step dad, my husband Big Jim. He said to us that the show was the second best live show he had ever seen. It's cool to see this influence. The band never plays covers but my son majored in music theory and has played with Paul Shaffer, a guy who plays with David Letterman a couple of times and just totally lives for music, like you do.Well he likes sports, too. He is married, like you, as well. She is beautiful and GREAT. I adore them both. If you wait, I will send you his band's new CD, when it is ready.

    I am sorry if I talk too much. I am a writer and I can't help it!
    Have a good day!

    jean

    ReplyDelete
  13. You talk as much as you like, I enjoy your comments. I love floyd and have a blog post planned about them that I have yet to write, such atmospheric music.

    I know of Paul Shaffer and an old friend of mine has also plaed with him. I think Shaffer gets about quite a bit!!!

    I would love to hear the Cd when it comes out and will eagerly await it's release. (I did email you today via your webiste contact but i'm unsure if you got it.)

    Enjoy the rest of your day and see you back here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. getting your email would be great. send it again if you don't mind! maybe it got caught in aol's dreadful spam trap!
    I have many friends in Great Britain. Most are bead makers and jewellery designers, but they LOVE music. One used to manage a band when she was younger! She had brilliant red spiky punked out hair and collected money from tourists who were in London and wanted to have their photos taken with her. hahah

    I like to think of my husband as the crazy diamond. You would understand if you met him :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I resent the email to the address you put up. It's different to the one on your website but fingers crossed you get it this time.

    You can still see punks in certain parts of London who you can take your pictures with, although it's a lot less common these days.

    ReplyDelete