Search This Blog

Saturday 14 May 2011

Running to music.

If I can be said to be a voracious reader, or obsessed with music, then similar things could be used to describe my dad and running.  After 100 marathons and numerous ultra races it could be said by some that he has earned his stripes.

I have noticed though, that I have never seen him listen to music whilst running, whereas I personally find it hard to maintain pace and motivation unless I am.  This is common nowadays and more often than not you will see runners plugged into some kind of audio device, be it a radio, MP3 player or mobile phone, as they zip past in a blur of sweat, sinew and lycra.

I have particular favourite albums or songs I play when running and the key one for me has to be System of a Down’s ‘Toxicity’.  The beat on each song seems to perfectly paced for me to run fast and yet not feel too winded.  Also the whole album is very upbeat and manages to help me maintain my pace for the 44 minute duration.  The fact that I love this band and always enjoy playing their music is a bonus.

It doesn’t have to be heavy or fast music that helps you keep your internal rhythm whilst you exercise or go about your business.  I find Jill Scott’s ‘He Loves Me’ manages to get my arms pumping and feet walking in time whenever I play it walking home from the train station.  The ‘Live in Paris' version is especially infectious and a particular favourite version of mine.

Of course I’m not the only one who uses music to motivate myself during exercise, as the pumping music from the spinning class at the gym will testify to, and for years now aerobics has been done to the soundtrack of assorted songs.  There are even dedicated compilation albums of songs to run to, which you can buy and play as you pound the streets and parks near you.


My brother does a body balance class ( a mix of yoga, pilates and stretching) and he talks about the music played during this as well.  He says it is often more sedate and reflective, but suit’s the slower pace of the exercise on offer. 

The ability of music to help us regulate our rhythm and move in time with a group, or just with our own body mechanics is a wonderful thing and one I don’t take for granted.  And, whilst my dad may be happy to run with just his thoughts and the sounds of nature as an accompaniment, I feel you can never beat the rush of running up some steps Rocky style and waving your arms about in triumph as you listen to Survivor‘s ‘Eye of the Tiger’.  Cheesy?  Certainly.  But wholly satisfying never the less.

Feel free to add your thoughts and comments.  Do you listen to music when you exercise or do you prefer peace and quiet?

5 comments:

  1. I always listen to music when I exercise and, since I have been exercising since the eighties , I often had to listen to whatever was on the easy listening radio at the gym at the time. I PARTICULARLY remember listening to Boy George over and over,to the point where I had to block it out. When at home I always exercise and formerly exercised to my favourites unless employing a video to learn something new. Then I tolerate the music but often HATE the cool down music and have to turn it off and cool down in blessed silence!!! jean :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jean,

    Cool down music is so insipid, I can understand why you would turn it off. Plus if you cool down in silence you can hear how your breath is regulating and you can be more in tune with your body.

    I know what you mean about blocking some music out. When I'm at the gym at the same time as the spinning class I have to block out the pounding, high octane music they use in the studio. It is very obtrusive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like your Dad, I also do not run to music but only because I do not have an ipod! If I did (and I will one day!) no doubt I will choose some pumping beats, both for motivations and rhythm. When I go on the cross trainer I listen to Madonna's 'Hard Candy' as it is about 50 minutes of upbeat exercise tunes! Brill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listen to all sorts and each time think that this is the best music to jog to until the next song comes on. I also listen to radio 4 friday night podcasts.EE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi EE, I love the odd Radio 4 podcast too, mainly Excess Baggage, Money Box and Books and Authors. Spoken word is too quiet to run to though and I miss everything they say!!! Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete