Search This Blog

Saturday 2 July 2011

Music helps me get through the working day.

I was at work one day when it dawned on me that I listen to more music at work than I do at home these days.  Over the years I had invested considerable time and expense in building up my home audio system and yet it was being severely under utilised.  Hours spent configuring cables and settings, placing speakers in optimum positions and replacing stylus’ and other components and the whole thing was being used for a few hours at the weekend.  On the other hand at work I had these two tiny, cheap computer speakers that I had taken from an old computer when I had upgraded.  The wires were flimsy and the sound was dire and yet I spent over 8 hours every day playing my music collection through these!  Something had gone wrong somewhere along the line.  So, I set about finding a decent ipod dock to use at work.  It had to be small enough to not take up too much space and yet with a decent enough sound to do my music collection full justice.

I did my obligatory online research and read various reviews of assorted ipod docks that would fit the bill.  I went to the apple store and checked out what they suggested I use with their equipment. I went to music stores and asked advice and by the end of it all I had whittled my choice down and I decided on the Sony SRSGU10IP Ipod dock.

I have to say from the outset that the sound from this ipod speaker dock belies its small stature.  From this beautiful, glossy little unit comes a sound that is balanced, warm and rich and it manages to fill the room with sound whilst taking up minimal space. It also seems to put out a sound comparable to larger, higher spec competitors that I tried out.  It came with assorted cradles so you can fit various ipod/iphone units in it and I could also plug extra external devices into it in case I changed my ipod to another manufacturer down the line.  One bonus from using the cradles is that my ipod is always fully charged and I know that when I grab it at the end of the day it’s not going to die half way through my homeward journey.  The dock also has a small remote control to adjust the built in volume and bass boost, as well as other settings on your ipod.

Although sound was of prime importance it has to be said it looks impressive too, the piano wood cabinet is a nice touch and I have had many complimentary remarks about how it looks and sounds.  It isn’t heavy and yet it feels sturdy and reassuringly well made too.

Luckily for my technology addled mind it was easy to set up right out of the box and it was all fairly intuitive to use as it was based around the ipod software.  Overall I have to say I am very happy with this purchase; it is relatively inexpensive (compared to some other units out there) and the sound really is very impressive for such a small, compact speaker dock.


So at last I had a decent enough speaker system at work to lose myself in and when things gets hard now and then, I can turn the volume up that extra notch and block out the stresses and frustrations of my day.  I know how fortunate I am to be able to listen to music at work and the acquisition of a decent speaker dock has truly made all the difference.  I am able to hear things that were previously lost with the tiny computer speakers and now everything sounds warmer and fuller.  When music is such an integral parts of your life and we spend so much time at work, it seems churlish not to do whatever you can to optimize your listening pleasure as much as possible.  Whether that be setting up a decent system at home or, as my company allows, at work as well.

11 comments:

  1. The Zeppelin is a beauty, but well expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot get through my day without music. I am in the same position, except at work I wear headphones. The realisation that I am never without music led me to purchase some decent headphones for my commute and an upgraded set of cordless headphones for the office. During the week, I am rarely seen without headphones clamped to my ears!!! It indeed, 'gets me through the day!' Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Simon, my thoughts exactly! The sound was excellent, but boy what a price!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're in the same situation as me Anonymous, having some decent headphones or speakers makes all the difference. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice set up, I wish I could play music at work. I'd start in the morning with march to the scaffold and finish the day with dance macabre!EE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jean! It certainly helps while the day away.

    Hey Evil Edna, your music choices are certainly eclectic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Spider Monkey, did you ever get hold of any more William Fitzsimmons following our chat a couple of months ago? I got hold of a copy of "Goodnight", and it's truly spine-tingling, I very much recommend it.
    And I am envious of you being able to play music at work. I have to make do with the occasional burst through my phone (via headphones, of course) - at least it drowns out the drone of the usual office conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello again Craig, I have yet to get that Fitzsimmons album, althouh it is in my basket awaiting sufficient funds for another bumper CD purchase!

    I can heartily recommend James Vincent McMorrow to you, check him out on YouTube first. He is a little like Nathaniel Rateliff who I interviewed here on the blog, but with great backing harmonies and a sound of his own.

    I couldn't work without music and before I had the speakers at work I too had headphones. It does wonders to block out the office banter or soothe you in moments of work day stress. I am aware and thankful for how fortunate I am being able to play music at work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You rock! Love the set up!
    take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Lisa, I think that's the first time anyone has said that about me so you've done wonders for my self esteem!!! Hope to see you back here again soon,

    ReplyDelete