Search This Blog

Saturday 2 June 2012

Unusual music venues.

After seeing The Temper Trap at Koko last week I started thinking about music venues and the ones we especially love and those that miss the mark.  I also started thinking about venues that original use was for something else and it has been adapted for a new musical purpose.

In its most basic form, and one many of us would have experienced, is where I saw Deep Purple years ago with my dad.  They played out of a leisure centre in Reading and used the large gymnasium as the hall.  I can’t remember too much about the acoustics, but I do remember having a bass chest massage all night and apart from the excellent guitarist this is the overwhelming memory of that gig.  The venue wasn’t designed for music, but it was a large spare space that was available and it suited the crowd attending.


One of my favourite venues is London’s O2 arena.  This was originally the Millennium Dome, created to house an exhibition to celebrate the turning of the millennium.  After 2000 had passed it sat empty for years and my brother and I used to say many times what a great concert venue it would be, especially after it was used for the excellent millennium show during the exhibition.  Incidentally this was composed by Peter Gabriel and it is available as the wonderful album called ’Ovo’ that I love listening to even now.  Happily others thought the same and the site is now converted into a music venue, with a large indoor arena, a small music club, an assortment of restaurants, an exhibition area for various events, a large cinema and an ice rink during the winter.  It is a great day out to go up for a meal and then finish the day off with a gig.  Transport links are great and it is easy to get in and out, all important factors to make the evening go smoothly.  This is why is has been voted the worlds best music venue in it’s first full year running and why I happily snap up tickets for bands playing there.

Another venue I love is Somerset House which does a summer series of gig each year.  This building is used the house the nations birth and death records, but the courtyard is used as an outdoor cinema and for gigs during the light, warm summer months.  I saw The Temper Trap here last year and it was excellent.  Apart from the music being amazing, the venue was superb too.  Due to being stood in a courtyard it felt intimate, even though you were open to the skies.  Lights were played against the walls and as it grew darker it almost felt like you were stood in a stately, outdoor club.  Again, it was easy to get in and out and being in the centre of London transport was good as well.  I had such a great time that when I saw the summer series announced this year I quickly snapped up a ticket and I am delighted to say I am seeing another of my all time favourite artists (Jill Scott) there later in the year.

Then there is Koko.  This was originally a grand, steeply tiered theatre and the old style and décor remains.  But numerous bars have been put in, the floor seating has been removed and strong balcony rails are in place.  This venue was originally designed for theatre shows and plays and now it is used as a music venue and as a club.  I know the uses aren’t a million miles from each other, but the way the old building has been preserved and still utilised pleases me, as so many building of this type fall into disrepair.  I was really impressed with the venue and it’s facilities and would happily book another gig there if I saw someone I liked on it’s calendar. 

I guess when they change the venue from one use to another you have to consider acoustics (and also crowd control if it is especially small, or in a quiet area) but with modern PA systems and acoustic buffers (like the ceiling mushrooms in the Royal Albert Hall) many of these problems can be overcome.  I have to say the sound has never been atrocious in any of the venues I have mentioned here.

I’m sure there are many other examples of buildings being adapted from one use to another and these are just a selection that I thought of and enjoyed visiting.  I’d love to hear of any you have seen and your particular favourites.

3 comments:

  1. I have seen the Medieveal Babaes play both at the Norwich playhouse - great place great sound- and a couple of times at Ely Catherdral, the first time was the Lady Chaple which was amazing and the other was in the nave which was not as good and did have the audience particpation. I like the smaller venues.EE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey EE, how have you been? I agree with you, whilst the large venues are great for a big spectacular stage show, the smaller venues are where you often get the more intimate and more lasting performances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In New York, there is an outdoor venue outside a summer house called Caramoor in Katonah, NY. They play classical music and you can sit on the grass and have a picnic. It is quite near us and very beautiful.
    For rock, I like the Beacon Theater in NYC --it is very intimate and very cool. I loved hearing Joe Cocker there. He is one of my favourites! My son Jim's band The Ruse plays the Mercury Lounge downtown and that is very cool too. I am so grateful ever since the laws here in the US forbade smoking in these places as even though I used to smoke) some of them are quite small and crowded and the ambience is a lot better minus the smoke.
    If Jim were home he would be giving you a list a mile long, including places in New Jersey and in Connecticut! He has been to quite a few concerts. He does like Madison Square Garden...who doesn't? I have been going there since I was a little girl to watch the circus, and I got to see Janis Joplin there and Johnny Winter as her special guest and that was something I will never forget. I guess for me the venues are kind of blended in with how important the people I am getting to see and hear are. I am not an expert, the way you, Big Jim and Jimmy are. And you are the tops! :)

    ReplyDelete